Saturday, October 11, 2008

Why I Am A Democrat

Until 2003, I was a registered voter, but not with either major party.

Sure, I almost always voted for Democratic candidates, but I wanted to make sure I was open minded. Before the 2004 Presidential Election, I was going to enter a career in journalism, a job that generally demands non-partisanship.

During that presidential primary though, I got fed up with the divisive politics brought about from the Bush Administration and decided I had to get involved as a political activist rather than a journalist, and I decided to become a Democrat to help fight that divisiveness coming from the Republican

Because in the end, more than anything else, that's what the Democratic Party is as a whole: a shining light of cooperation and mutual respect towards others in stark contrast to what has become a party of cynicism and intellectual elitism from the majority of the other side.

After the primary in 2004, I was finishing up my time as a student in Keene State College, and I had the choice of either staying in Keene, where Democrats always win, or going back home to Merrimack where the opposite had been true.

I chose the latter, and I did so because I believe in my party, and I believe that I had more of a purpose spreading that light and making sure that Democrats in Merrimack know that they have someone who wants to fight for them and their values.

No comments: