Here in Hillsborough County, we have eight candidates running for Register of Deeds. However, considering that just about nobody knows what a Register of Deeds does, the big campaign issue has been whether it's spelled "Register" or "Registrar". Some candidates spell it "Register", some candidates spell it "Registrar".
RSA 478 says they're registers, not registars. However, Webster's says that aRegister is an object or a verb, wheras a Registrar is a person.
With pressing issues like these determining our choice of Register or Registrar of Deeds, why the hell this position is elected and not appointed, I do not know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had been a grammar policeman, getting very annoyed by people who used "Register" instead of "Registrar" for their signs. However, when I was looking for information about just what that position does, I noticed that the Office itself is the Register of Deeds, and the person filling the office is the Registrar.
This means that either usage is OK. Running for "Register of Deeds" is like running for "Senate" and running for "Registrar" is like running for "Senator". It's just a matter of candidate preference.
Post a Comment