Here in Merrimack, we have a Charter School even though most people don't realize it.
Nestled in an office building right next to Dunkin Donuts and the Common Man restaurant, A week or so ago I was offered a tour of The Academy of Science and Design, and I was pretty impressed.
There appeared to be around 60 to 100 students, with about half of them being given laptops, there was a state of the art chemistry lab as well, and they were taught Chinese, something I wish I had a chance to learn in school.
The only concerns I had with the school were the lack of a physical education system and the fact that even though it's technically public, there is a possibility in the future that in the future enrollment may be limited to a lottery system, even though that is not currently the case at this Charter School.
I've lost track of how many parents in Merrimack support vouchers, home schooling or Charter Schools like this one, and i'm fine with supporting them as long as each and every student recieves an adequate education without exceptions. That's the key for me, as long as the children are educated to the standards we require as a society, it shouldn't matter whether it's public, private, or somewhere in between.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment